What it means to leave Chicago (SAMO)

The screening began with a powerful slam poem by Rebirth Poetry Ensemble.
"Chicago is built on the concept of mopping with dirty water."

Poem by Rebirth Poetry Ensemble performing an original and award winning poem at the Logan
Center for the Arts and University of Chicago.
Filmed by me. 


The emotional poem filled me to the brim with feelings unknown to me. However, the performers  helped me to try and understand how they felt, and tears stung my eyes as they finished the poem: "Chicago is African Violence blooming in gun powder."

The poem was a perfect precursor to get the audience, a small mix of adults, teens, at least two babies, and UChicago students and professors, ready to hear an important discussion. The Promise of Peace Community Forum that my mom and I attended is part of a larger project with the same title that engages youth and adults in a variety of school-based and public programs including exhibitions, spoken word events, artist talks, and other events, according to their website.

The talk was led by five eloquent, passionate people of color, each of which do amazing work to make the world a better place.

Description of each other the speakers at the forum
Photo taken by me on iPhone



Further description of speakers and project overall.
Photo taken by me on iPhone. 











































The first question asked was how Chicago presented challenges in each speakers' work, and the answers provided astounded me. Messiah Equiano answered that people often think it's some kind of miracle when he's away on work and he tells them he's from Chicago.  They frequently exclaim, "YOU GOT OUT OF CHICAGO! THAT'S AMAZING!"

I thought about this answer in the context of myself and I was forced to check my privilege.  I don't see Chicago the same way these speakers or even the teenage slam poets do. It's not a place I fear desperately, not a place I've seen the freedom of friends and family disappear. Not a place I've seen friends die before my eyes, or fall to the backwards attraction of drugs and gangs. Sure, I want to go away for college, but it's just not the same.

My sense of safety is something I take for granted on a daily basis. It's even easier to consider that there are people out there who are suffering, and I'm just lucky. But the "out there" that normally comes to mind is Syria or an African nation lacking clean water (while I complain about the taste of the  water that sat in the car overnight). It makes me take a step back-- no, run back a mile-- and see that people are suffering so nearby. Not only nearby, but in a city that to me is a destination for trendy new restaurants, Zoo Lights, and concerts. The next time I'm downtown, I know I will make a point of realizing, whether out loud or in my head, that south of The Loop scary things are happening. Maybe I'll strike up a conversation with the friends I'm with about it. After all, it all starts with awareness. That very conversation could lead anyone I know into their own Cycle of Liberation.

Standing proudly with my activist notebook post-forum.
Photo taken by my mom on iPhone. 


One story that hit me hard was told by Jahmal Cole. He explained how he once spoke on a TV station in New York City, and a police officer approached him after. The officer meant to compliment him. He said that when the officers in the station saw a black guy in a hoodie come on screen, they nearly turned off the TV. But when he spoke, he sounded like a Harvard English professor!

Torch's article on microaggressions definitely helped me to understand what they are, but hearing this story as a primary source took my understanding a step further. The assumptions made frustrated me. What did even moreso was that the officer didn't realize how harmful and hurtful this backhanded compliment was. It made me appreciate the fact that no one makes assumptions about my future or past based on my race, and it made me want to take any action to fight against such microaggressions, racial or anything else.

Before the forum, standing outside of the Logan Arts Center
Photo by my mom on iPhone. 

Outside of the theatre after the forum, there were pieces of paper and pens provided to answer a couple questions about peace, just to get people thinking. The papers asked to define peace and how it can be spread. I found that all of my answers had a similar theme: communication. Talking. Oh, the power talking can have. I believe spreading the word about forums like this, spreading the word about what I heard and how it affected me, that is in itself a step toward peace. And it starts with this very blog post.

Beautiful Rockefeller Chapel on UChicago's Campus. Not only does the school have
fantastic events but it is just stunning.
Photo by me on iPhone. 



Comments

  1. It's great that you were able to take in so much during your SAMO, from stereotypes to microaggressions to slam poetry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

A SAMO Within A Project: "Saving Capitalism" Conclusion

SAMO: 'Wrecked' Identities